Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Dollar Store Baskets that Look Like a Million Bucks: Part One

According to Mr. 31-derful, I throw a party every time someone sneezes. He's probably right, and it gets expensive. That's why one of my favorite stops for entertaining and clever crafts is the dollar store. Specifically, I like Dollar Tree, but any $1 store works! I have a legitimate reason to party as we are celebrating a holiday next week. I am very excited to share the first in a series of baskets I am either making or helping friends make for the occasion (more on the tradition after the pictures)! May I "Take You Out to the Ballgame?":


These baskets are being made by my neighbor, who was scared of the dollar store. We went with no particular ideas in mind. That is the best way to go there, because it is "like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get!" I spied those pretty felt baseball baskets with in a minute of being in the door. Instantly, we had a theme. We began shopping the store for peanuts, popcorn, baseball themed items, Baby Ruths and root-beer in bottles. To be fair they didn't have the peanuts in the shell or the root-beer, but they did have Redbird Mints that we stumbled upon. They are a must in a St. Louis Baseball Basket. Here are the pretties all put together with a baseball stress-ball and cute, themed card:


The total cost was $43.10 for 8 basket (about 5.60 each), but they look expensive. The baskets would be great for hostess gifts, wedding hospitality, Easter Baskets, May Day, Teacher Appreciation, etc. Mine, however, were made to celebrate the upcoming Jewish Holiday of Purim.

Purim baskets, or mishloach manot, are gifts of food or drink that are sent to friends, relatives, neighbors, teachers, business associates, and any other acquaintances on Purim day. The tradition derives from the Book of Esther. It is meant to ensure that everyone has enough food and to increase love and friendship. Traditionally, the baskets include at least two different types of food. The practice is a fairly prominent feature of Purim among the religious community but not as much among Reform and Conservative Jews. As you know I am not religious, but I do care about tradition, and this is a really easy, fun one to keep. I will be back with another friend's baskets tomorrow and mine on Friday!

No Minimalist Here

No comments: