Monday, February 1, 2016

In case anyone was wondering....

I realize that my blog is sometimes dichotomous; this week I had a post about an obscure Jewish holiday followed by another post professing my love for Southern Football Player. I know these things don't exactly match. In real life, I have often been asked if I consider myself religious, and I wondered if anyone out there in the blogosphere wondered if we are "religious". In a strict sense, no, we are not religious Jews. I mean, I have posted about bacon-wrapped, cheese-filled dates for goodness sake!

Our family is Reform. For many Reform Jews, I know that their religious practice is defined by what they don't do. For our family, the list of "don't's" is actually quite extensive. We don't keep kosher (though we did for a long time). We don't wear religious garb. We don't strictly observe the Sabbath or even go to services that often. For these reasons I know many would assume that we also don't build a sukkah, conduct a Tu B'Shevat Seder, or celebrate Shavuot. But you know we do....

My religious views are more about the "do's" than the "don'ts." We do choose to go to a diverse, egalitarian congregation. We do feel obligated to do social justice work as an extension of our belief in Tikkun Olam, the repair of the world. We do choose to use our Judaism as a framework for understanding the world around us. We do choose to celebrate all Jewish holidays (even miniscule ones) because they are available to us as a way to heighten our joy and teach our children about our belief system. We DO think it is okay if you don't do any of these, but are still Jewish. Our biggest belief is we DO believe in accepting all people for what they believe. I just want to share all of these moments so that I will remember them and in case you are curious about how someone else lives and practices their religion. I also want other Jewish people who may have a long list of don'ts to know that all these holidays are for you too. I'd love to see how you celebrate life's moments!

3 comments:

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

So, being Jewish myself, I assumed that because you build a sukkah, and hold a Tu B'Shevat Seder, that you were at least Conservative, only because those are both on my "don'ts" list. But, I'm laughing at myself because "I assumed!" We're Reform, also, yet belong to a Conservative synagogue, where I serve as the Fundraising chair; occasionally go to Shabbat services, and take a monthly class with our Rabbi! I'd also love to go on a mission trip with my synagogue to Israel. My son was bar mitzvah'd here and in Israel. Yet, we are not "religious," either. I guess it's just a matter of what's on the list of Do's and Don'ts! Beautifully written post!

Our Life at 31-derful! said...

Thanks Amy! I am super curious about how your son ended up celebrating in both places...we often dream of bat mitzvahs in Israel, but then think about grandparents travelings, no friends being there, etc, etc... I always say we would just end up with both, which I am guessing is what happened to you!

Our Life at 31-derful! said...

Oh--and I have been in charge of the fund raising events for years (under an official Vice President of Fundraising)--we should swap notes!