Friday, September 30, 2016

Fit for the Queen of the Court: A 40-love Birthday Party

The party I had been waiting 40 years for finally happened this Tuesday.   I simply could not have asked for a better day.  It was late a September day with just the slightest hint of a cool breeze, but with warm sunlight everywhere and not a cloud in the sky! In case you have not read my blog in the last few weeks (or ever, which is more likely), I went with a 40-Love theme.  Grab a coffee this is a long one.  All photos, unless otherwise noted below the photo, are the work of Lemon Cherry Photography.  You can find Lemon Cherry here.   The owner, Sara, is delightful and I think her company is going to grow from here.  If you are in St. Louis, you should definitely check her out!

I was gifted a bunch of dead balls and had so much fun crafting with them.  So did my 11 year old who made this 40 for me.  It adorned the gate to the tennis courts!


 The day started with 22 tennis players and 4 pros who expertly led us in drills and games.  Fortunately, I don't have to blot out eyes because most people are wearing sunglasses!
 The whole thing was made all the more special by the fact that I had a courtside DJ.  I think I will never want to play tennis again without someone pumping all the jams from my lifetime!  I have decided that my Hip Hop Tennis name is DJ Sweet Spot!
This is NOT one of my professional photos, but I thought it was important to show the courtside DJ :)




Lemonade, Tea and Assorted Nuts were served courtside as well as bottled water.


How cute are all of our rackets piled up???


When the games were finished, champagne and sparkling waters were butler-passed and then we headed it for a wee "cocktail hour."    Guests were greeted by a preppy pink and green rag swag that I created.  Two wreaths flanked the entrance (shown in photos below).

This is NOT one of my professional photos, but I wanted to show you this sweet rag garland that I created.  It was the basis for a lot of the other decor! 



We passed three appetizers: Roasted Shrimp in Pea Pod with a Soy-Mirin dipping sauce, Asparagus with boursin encased in phyllo, and a Petro on a Chinese Soup Spoon. Petros are my favorite treat from Knoxville, TN,  where I went to college.  They are just chili and cheese with fritos and toppings, but they were so elegant on the spoon and passed on a silver platter! 

After that guests found their seats.  I always like a place card because it helps guests feel at ease and it is one more chance for cute! 

 Here,  you can see some more of our handy work.  Tennis ball topiaries, 40 love stand-ups, and centerpieces featuring the same material as our rag garland adorned the room.
Aren't these napkin folds just the cutest??  YOU know I love a napkin fold!

I can't resist showing a close-up of this happy centerpiece.

Before lunch got started, I made a speech and was was presented with the sweetest book from my girlfriends.  Each one submitted a recipe and special note for me.  It was so, so kind, and I will treasure it for always!  They also gave one BIG group gift to ensure my 40's sparkle.  I adore these beautiful stacking rings!


I also got some bling from this guy, who reset my engagement ring for the new decade....I told you it was a good day!



 Now back to the party.......This was a perfect meal for a ladies lunch on the cusp of Fall.
Here were the menu cards and food:


This is NOT one of my professional photos.  Our time ended before dessert, but I had to show you these sweet skillet pies!
Finally, we sent each guest home with a tennis ball cookie that said, your friendship is my sweet spot!


If this day was any indication, my 40's are going to be great!



 Whether you are having a milestone birthday, celebrating holidays (as I will be this week), or just because it is finally almost sweater weather--Celebrate Everything!

2 comments:

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Happy Birthday, Suzanne! So happy you had a fabulous day! This is amazing! I'm going to feature it at Best of the Weekend tomorrow night!

Our Life at 31-derful! said...

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes! EECK!!!! I'M excited and I feel very honored that you would feature me!!!!!! What a great birthday gift to me!!!