Tuesday, December 13, 2016

It is beginning to look a lot like Hanukkah!

It is beginning to look a lot like Chanuka, Chanukah, Hanukah, Hannukah, Hanukkah, Hanuka, Hanukka:  Chanukkah!

There are many, many appropriate ways to spell Hanukkah and there are even more numerous ways to celebrate it.  Hanukkah is a relatively minor holiday, and many would say that going all out to decorate for Hanukkah is just a silly, overblown response to the other Holiday that dominates December. 

Well, I go all out for lots of other minor holidays, so why should this night be any different than all other nights (to mix my holiday metaphors)? While I don't have nearly as many decorations as I would if I celebrated Christmas, I do my fair share for Hanukkah.  Welcome to our Hanukkah House:
  




Please forgive the leaves still on the ground.  We can't decide what season we are in around these parts, and leaves are still falling along with snow today!

Here is a close-up of our cheesy light-up, spinning dreidel.  It is in the worst taste, but I adore it!
Just above you can see my over-sized wreath.  I had to make it myself as there isn't much out there in the way of Hanukkah wreaths!
Turning the corner you can see my, again homemade, burlee.  It is a dreidel (a spinning top affiliated with the holidays).  On each side of a normal dreidel is a Hebrew letter spelling out an acronym for a "Great Miracle Happened There."  One of the Hebrew Letters just happens to be a "hey".  I thought it would be funny joke to put "Hey" on the door:

Also out on the porch, I have a little apothecary jar that I switch out for the seasons:


In our living room, we have one display of our beloved menorahs:



Right next to the menorah collection,  we have a sweet velcro Noah's Ark that we just aren't ready to part with:

We also have a pillow in and favorite reading spot 

And, of course, our mantle is adorned with a banner I made ions ago and THE ORIGINAL MENSCH ON THE MANTLE  (not copyrighted by me a long, long time ago).


Turning towards our "girls' office", we have displayed the sweetest little handprint menorah banners ever made (IMHO).

In the kitchen we have some dishtowels and lots of Hanukkah Cookies (neither really worth showing) and finally, we have a "Play Tray" with oodles of dreidels and pennies to play dreidel with.  To my great surprise, we still have a little people Hanukkah set that I can't believe my big girls wanted to put out!
That's All Folks!  Just some small decor for a small-ish holiday!

Whatever you celebrate--celebrate everything!

2 comments:

Ron said...

Happy Hannakuh to you and yours. xo

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Love it! I always find it hard to decorate for Hanukkah, so I don't really do much (I used to do a bunch of cheesy things when my son was younger). LOVE the handprint menorahs, and the Hey on the door made me chuckle - clever! Happy Hanukkah to you and yours! Thanks for sharing at Best of the Weekend!